Re: URGENT QUTESTION:error signaled in parallel query server p007?

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/05/29

answers embedded.

"Life in Vain" <cantnoeseboy_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:39328EE5.E8ABC43F_at_netscape.net...
> Hi:
>
> I have a database with the parallel query option enabled and
> the tables were altered like this:
>
> alter table TABLE_NAME parallel(degree 4);
>
> After the table was created , data was loaded.
> Then When I try to create index for those tables, I got this
 error code

> "ora-12801 : ERROR signaled in parallel query server p007
> ora-01658 : unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in
 tablespace
> TABLESPACE_NAME"
>
> Here is the create index statement:
>
> create index INDEX_NAME on TABLE_NAME(COLUM_NAME)
> tablespace TABLESPACE_NAME pctfree 5 storage
> (initial 80M next 20M minextents 1 pctincrease 0)
 unrecoverable;

> What's wrong?

you need to have space available in the tablespace for 4 extents of 80M each.

> I have checked that among all the free extents
> within that index tablespace, the maximum one's size is 140M,
> so why I can't create such index?

you can create such an index. you need more space available in the tablespace.

> Finially , I have to reduce the initial extent size from 80M
 to 40M so
> that I can create the index.

you reduced your initial space requirement to 4 extents of 40M each.

> After the index is created, I do this:
>
> select bytes from dba_segments
> where segment_name='INDEX_NAME'
>
> and it shows that the index only occupy 45M
>
> Also , when I do this:
>
> select bytes from dba_extents
> where segment_name='INDEX_NAME'
>
> it show that the index occupy 4 extents, one is 40M
> and the other three is ~1.3M
>
> When I query back the dba_free_space,
> I found that the 140M free extent disappear, it seems
> that such free extent is broken down to pieces by
> the create index statement.
> Is such results was due to the parallel query option?

the create index statement is executed by four parallel processes, each process allocating its own extents.

> Can someone tell me how to solve it(cause I am new
> to the PQO)

it seems like you've already solved "the problem". what is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish ?