Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 2000/05/28

The last time I read the license in-depth, per server vs. per seat must be determined for the entire enterprise. The license did not allow you to set up connections to one server as "per server" and another "per seat".

Even under per server you would still need a 1000 seat server license to handle 1000 concurrent user connections.

--
Michael D. Long
http://extremedna.homestead.com

"Neil Pike" <100577.553_at_compuserve.com> wrote in message

> Davide,
>
> > Pay attention also to the client licence fee. I remember that MS want a
> > licence for each CLIENT accessing the database in an Intranet
environment,
> > this means that if you have 1000 users, you need 1000 licences (!!!!).
>
> Not true. You could have the server set-up in per-server mode. In
per-seat mode you would need 1000.