Re: After install: default performance guidelines

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/05/26

two disks? 4 cpus aren't going to make the heads move quicker or make the disks spin any faster... i suspect your bottleneck is related to disk i/o...

which disks are used for the index(es)?
rollback segments ? redo logs?

you can verify that checkpoints aren't causing a performance problem. in addition to the size of the redo logs. there are two parameters in the init<sid>.ora file that affect the frequency of checkpoints.

if the database is in archive log mode, make sure that you have enough redo log groups that the archive process can keep up.

what program are you using to do the inserts? SQL*Loader can sometimes load rows faster, especially in "direct" mode.

two disks? you're kidding, right ?

<orauser_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> I installed Oracle on a 4 CPU NT box with 4 GB memory and
> two disks. Other than increasing the main memory pool and
 sort area