creating database instance

From: <christopher.lewis_at_ac.com>
Date: 2000/05/26

Hi there, I'm fairly new to this so thanks for bearing with me. Anyway, I'm trying to create a new additional database instance (msd2) using Oracle 8.1.5 on a Sun SPARC server. My script begins as follows:

connect internal
startup nomount pfile=.......

CREATE DATABASE msd2

    CONTROLFILE REUSE
    LOGFILE ....... However, I get the following error message:

Connected.
ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down first CREATE DATABASE msd2
*
Error at line 1:
ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
ORA-01100: database already mounted

Is this just a matter of switching the ORACLE_SID? And if so, how can I set it if the database hasn't been created yet?

Thanks for the help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri May 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT