Connection to Oracle 7 thru Firewall

From: <sudn_at_delcoremy.com>
Date: 2000/05/25

Help please !!

I am trying to connect to an oracle 7 database thru a firewall. My IIS server sits outside the firewall. I installed the oracle client on it and set the host name in tnsnames.ora to the IP address of the firewall.

On the firewall I opened port 1521 (default sql port) to external connections and set the redirect IP address to the IP address of my rdbms Server machine.

When I try to connect using sqlplus from my IIS server, it just hangs for a while and then errors out. I am obviously missing something.

Can someone please tell me the correct method for configuring this set up.
1. On the tnsnames.ora file on my IIS server (outside firewall), what do I put in the host name ?? It can not recognize the actual IP address of the Oracle server. So i assume I have to put in the IP address of the firewall. Do i have to specify the port as well ?? and How do I do that ?? 255.255.255.255:XXXX ?? There is no place to specify the port.

2. On my firewall (sidewinder), what is the config ?? What do I specify in the source, destination, redirection IP address, redirection port etc ??

Would be very grateful for any kind of help in this matter. Does any one know if there is a white paper of some kind for this ??

NOTE:The SQL*Net client and RDBMS are both Version 7.3

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu May 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT