Re: changing nls_characters set from US7ASCII to WE8ISO8859P1 in Oracle 8.0.5

From: Tommy Cusan <saras008_2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/05/25

In Oracle 8i,
you can change the character set as long as the new charater set you want to change to is a strict superset of the current character set. In this case we8iso8859p1 is strict superset with us7ascii. Then you can use the command :

alter database character set we8iso8859p1;

do the shutdown and startup again.

Remember to do the full back before issue the command !!!!!! Check in the manual for 8.0.5 whether you can use this command or not.

Regards,
Tommy Cusan
Oracle DBA support