Re: trace file reuse???

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/05/25

Gary Knopp <gknopp_at_ascend.com> wrote in article <8gj8kj$kf_at_nntpb.cb.lucent.com>...
> Jerry,
> I don't have an issue with the naming convention/mechanism to
> create the trace file.

{snip}

> It looks like oracle holds some file descriptor that points to where it
> is currently in the file. If I run trace on mySQL, tthen copy an empty
 file
> to the

{snip}

The problem here is that a trace file is associated with a single session, you need to disconnect the session to break the link with that trace file.

If you are tuning a series individual sql statements you might be better off using 'explain plan' directly rather than indirectly via tkprof or whatever. I usually use tracing to track down programs misbehaving during live running rather than as a development tool, as unless you are developing against your live system, the data volumes, hardware etc are different anyway.

Cheers
Martin. Received on Thu May 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT