Re: want clarification from Oracle gurus regarding I/O

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/24

<suresh_joshi_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8gh7go$o1m$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi, I want to know that how many i/o oracle will do to update 5 rows as
> result of the Update ... where ... ; statement.
> assume that the row has 10 column , the row being update is part of
> two indexes and oracle is using cost based optimzer and the blevel of
> the index is three and the db_block_size is 4k.
>
> I appreciate if someone give me exactly what oracle do process the
> UPDATE request and how many i/o will happens because of that
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Just enable trace in your session (alter session set sql_trace = true) perform the update, disconnect, and you will know. Issues like this are explained in the Oracle Concepts Manual, and the purpose of this group is not to rewrite the concepts manual.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT