Re: simple? recovery question

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/05/24

Mike Hately <mike.hately_at_virgin.net> wrote in article <8gf6ri$a6$1_at_lure.pipex.net>...

> You should investigate the Log Miner utility. This may enable you to
 unearth
> your row.
> BMC's PATROL DB-Logmaster is similar but Log Miner scores higher as it's
> supplied with Oracle 8.1.5 +.

We use DB-Logmaster for this sort of thing. Works fine, but I always make a big song and dance when some daft developer/user comes along asking that all that data they deleted be put back in the DB, or they will get lazy and careless.

Make sure you hang onto your archive log files for the period in question or you will never get the data back. No chance of some user just typing it back in I suppose?

> Needless to say, you should exercise great caution to ensure you have the
> correct data before you reinsert it.

Indeed, I usually generate the 'undo' script then send it off to the people responsible for the unplanned data loss in the first place to check it and sign that they approve it.

> Verna Legaspi <verna.legaspi_at_attws.com> wrote in message

> > I need to recover just 1 row on a table in my database. The row has
 been
> > deleted since last week. All I have for a backup is a nightly full DB
> > export... so last week's full DB export has been replaced by last
night's!

Hmm, I would suggest a review of your sites backup strategy is in order.

> > Is there a chance for me to recover this table/row with just this? I
 have
> > archive redo logs, but unfortunately, I very much doubt I have a "cold"
> > backup of my datafiles to apply them to.

This would only be of use if you restored the affected datafiles to a seperate instance/server or whatever and rolled the database forward/backwards to recover the deleted row. You'd then need to copy it into your proper database.

Having done this a couple of times was why we got DB-Logmaster.

Cheers
Martin. Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT