Re: Cheap Hardware and tons of data to load

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: 2000/05/24

Hi Sharad

The question you didn't answer is whether you have indexes that are constantly being rebuilt as you load new data. If so, your best bet may be to drop whatever indexes you can and recreate them after all the rows are loaded. The same applies to triggers. If you have any are they absolutely necessary for the initial data load?

Van

Yahoo!! <estancio AT cyberspace.org> wrote in message news:sinvjm59o191_at_corp.supernews.com...
> No archive log mode
> No constraints while loading.
> Data is loaded using a PL/SQL loop script.
>
> How do I find if we are having any system wait events?
>
> More info:
>
> The database has redo-log files close to 100MB.( Is it too big ?)
>

> "Mike Hately" <mike.hately_at_virgin.net> wrote in message
> > Are you getting any system wait events ?
> > What is the table like? Do you have any indexes/integrity
> > constraints/triggers on it?
> > What are you using to load the records?
> > Are you in archive log mode?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mike Hately
> >
> > Sharad <estancio_at_cyberspace.org> wrote in message
> > > We need to load close upwards of 100 million rows in our Oracle 8.0.4
> > > database. The hardware is a PIII 500MHz, 256 MB RAM, Single IDE disk,
 1GB
> > > swap.
> > >
> > > I know the hardware is not sufficient for this. However, we still need
 do