Re: ODBC connection from Access to 8.0.5

From: Jay M. Scheiner <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com>
Date: 2000/05/24

On Tue, 23 May 2000 19:14:54 -0700, "Jim Keesee" <jkeesee_at_uswest.net> wrote:

>Yes, I set a data source in the system and (different name) in the user DSN
>also.

I'm not sure about this, but maybe having 2 sources is confusing things. One problem I had was I set up client on my machine, created access linked tables, then couldn't get to them from another machine. I had created 2 different DSN names. Access gets at this by ODBC driver DSN name, not service name.

>Again from home on a tcp/ip connection I can see my workspace on the oracle
>server.
>However, on the LAN I get an error.

Try one step at a time from work client. Ping server. Tnsping by service name. Connect with oracle client (e.g. sqlplus). Verify correct service name in ODBC driver, and DSN name matches what Access is looking for. At which of these steps does it break?

Another step is to log either from the ODBC control panel to the odbc log file, or log at the server, for failed logins especially. The latter, at least on my 8i NT server, was changed by a init.ora setting and then there is a table that will give you some info about failed login attempts. This obviosly only works if the client is actually getting to the server. Email me directly for more info on this.

>Thanks for the assistance. This is soooo fustrating!
>Jim
>>

>> On Sun, 21 May 2000 21:04:50 -0700, "Jim Keesee" <jkeesee_at_uswest.net>
>> wrote:

Jay M. Scheiner
Programmer/Analyst
Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
remove _nospm_ from email address
Opinions are my own only! Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT