RMAN and Omniback

From: Christopher White <whit0421_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

Hi,
  I'm trying to setup RMAN to work with Omniback, but I'm having a problem. I think it's an RMAN issue, and not an Omniback issue, but I'm not 100% sure.
  The situation is this: We're running Oracle 8.1.5 under HP-UX 11.0 (64-bit). We have 2 development databases (test1 and test2), and we have one database which will house the RMAN catalog (rcat). Also, we're not using a password file. I created the RMAN user in the rcat database, granted the required roles with no problem. However, when I try registering the database with Omniback 3.0, I run into problems. I can register one database by setting my ORACLE_SID equal to test1. When I connect, it gives me a database id of 1015383138. I then set my ORACLE_SID to test2, and try running it again, and I get an error. For some reason, it's registering a database with the same dbid of 1015383138. I'm not sure where it's pulling that information from or anything. But, because they both have the same dbid, it thinks the database is already registered when it fact it's not. If I try doing a resync of the catalog, it tells me that the database isn't registered.   This problem occurs both when I try using Omniback's registration tool, as well as trying to register with RMAN alone.   Is my problem that I should be using a password file? The manual says you don't need one if you're not using SQL*Net, so I wanted to avoid it if possible. Anyone ever seen this before? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT