Re: How to defragment a big table not using import?

From: Byron Lee <bglyahoo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

Susan,

Two things. First, how are you backing this up?! It sounds suspiciously like you're not. Remember, a DBA is only as good as their last backup. :-) Seriously, I'd solve this problem first, which will also give you the means to handle the reorg. Second, if a lot of the space is unused and you use some sort of compression, you won't need 100GB. How much you actually do need will depend on the percentage of unused space and the compressibility of your data. BLOBs, unfortunately, don't tend to compress that well.

If you have sufficient free disk space, you can create a copy of the table with different storage parameters and then drop the original and rename the copy.

Question: Are the insert/delete operations for the whole range of data are are they focused on a particular time frame? If transactions are only occurring on recent data, you might want to investigate partitioning (assuming you're using 8.xx). This would limit the amount of reorging necessary in the future.

Good luck.

Byron Lee