Re: Oracle 8i (Version 8.1.5) bug

From: ShenHN <hwa.n.shenNOhwSPAM_at_jci.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/05/23

As I understand it from Oracle, it's a problem between RBO and CBO. This is how the problem manifested itself in our environment. We used the Oracle defaults to create a database instance, created a schema and populated with data. In developing our application, we discovered two equivalent SELECT statements yielded different results. We then ran the test on Sybase, Informix, SQL Server and MS Access and all these databases returned consistent & correct results.

Again, as I understand it from Oracle, CBO is the default. However, under certain conditions, RBO can be invoked, and that's where the problem lies. My view is that SQL is SQL and should not depend on vendor-specific features. Anyway, I put in the patch & it appears to be working. It puts my mind at ease & allows me to concetntrate on the application development.

Hwa N. Shen
Johnson Controls, Inc.