Re: Oracle 8i (Version 8.1.5) bug

From: DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

This was discussed a few days ago on the newsgroup.

This feature seems to like the following environment :- RBO and a sort merge (I think - still to check this) with index scan underneath it in the execution plan.

Possible ways to step-around the problem (which may have side-effects):-

Analyze the tables (ideally in all schemas including sys and system - maybe use DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA stored procs.), use the CBO and also use the /*+ all_rows */ hint in SQL (if you can actually get at the SQL).

CD-Rom documentation has instructions how to set the server to use CBO.

Note that you can't touch recursive (internal to the server).

I make no comment on a) the feature or b) the quality of the workaround or c) which version one should use in the meantime. Moreover, no inferences should be drawn from any part of this post vis a vi any of these issues, or any other related issues.

David P. OCP (DBA) MCP (TCP/IP)

Glasgow, Scotland.