Re: connecting to Oracle without using TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: 2000/05/22

DNP wrote:

> >so I'm not sure why you would want this cumbersome
> >syntax
>
> No you totally misunderstood me. I don't. My whole point was that this
> is a daft way to do things.
>
> When I say 'hard code IP nos. on the client side' what I mean is the
> TRUE client i.e. the application USING the parameters.
>
> Net 8 is essentially interconnecting middleware ( or to use Oracle's
> words, a Transparent Network Substrate).
>
> You can't avoid putting the IP settings into Tnsnames.ora.
>
> I stand corrected I suppose about the fact that you can put
>
> sqlplus system/manager@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=255.255.255.255)(Port=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=mysid)))
>
> instead of a service name -- however I don't have the time to faff about
> researching stupid ideas like that anyway.

I wouldn't exactly say that the idea is "daft", and I have no idea what language the word "faff" comes from, but I'll have to assume that it is some type of unpleasant pejorative. It is certainly not a "stupid" idea - in fact, it is actually quite ingenious in certain circumstances where dynamic switching of protocols, databases and servers is needed.

There are some esoteric reasons why someone might want to use the long syntax, but in the long run I think that it is better to just use Net8 correctly and that means having an entry in tnsnames.ora and using the associated service name.

Those of us who have been around a while and have had to come up with unique solutions to problems we face seldom ever label these solutions as "stupid" if they allow us to solve the problem and get a customer on-line. Received on Mon May 22 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT