Re: Private vs Public Rollback Segments

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/05/19

Gordy <gdsell_at_my-deja.com> wrote in article <8fnfat$j03$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> I was wondering when you should use public rollback segments
> vs private rollback segments. Can anyone tell me?

I have one very large (public) rollback segment and a bunch of smaller (private) rollback segments.

This means that if we need to do some major batch processing which requires lots of rollback, we can simply take down the database and bring it back up. This kicks any unwanted users off the system and it comes back up with just the big rollback segment active, so then the big batch jobs can run.

Obviously if you have access to the source code of all your apps, you can specify individual rollback segments for large transactions and avoid this problem, but for some odd reason our software suppliers seem reluctant to do this.

For normal transaction processing the smaller private segments are enabled as part of the databse startup process by a script.

Probably not the most sensible way of setting things up but it has worked OK the last 7 years or so.

Cheers
Martin. Received on Fri May 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT