disabling character-set translation in Oracle 8.0.5 possible ?

From: Sjimmie <sjimmie_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/18

Hi,

We have a database that is accessible for a number of countries, some of them needing a different character set (latin1 or latin2 for example). Each country only has access to a part of the table, identified by the country ID. For example :

Table X :

CountryID Dataitem

NL                Dutch text
PL                Polish text
US                US text

Now country NL only has access to the rows containing 'NL' etc.. (this is of course over-simplified. In reality we're dealing with a PeopleSoft application, but the principle is the same)

The question is, can we have a database character set that does not use any translation (between client charset and database charset and vice versa) so the CLIENT will always see the correct presentation of their input ?

(we are aware of the consequences this would have for e.g. central reporting. There would e.g. be no way of having one query to report over all countries and still have the report output the correct characters for each country).

Regards,

Simon Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT