Shutting Oracle Down for Backup

From: Mark Rogowski <m.rogowski_at_uwinnipeg.ca>
Date: 2000/05/18

Hi Everyone,

We have a setup with Windows NT Server 4.0 (patched), Oracle 7.3.4, and ARCServe for NT 6.61. We would like to do a flat-file backup regularly with compare of the entire system. Problem is, even though we tell Oracle to let go of the databases for backup through scripting, the compare fails on the database files.

This tells me that Oracle as a service, needs to to be shut down for a successful backup and compare. Can someone confirm this? Is there something else that should be done to get a successful backup/compare on this system?

Which leads to the second issue/point/question. We were told by an Oracle guru that it would be unwise to shut the Oracle service down through a(n) NT 'net stop' command. Since our intention is to back this system up late at night, there would be noone around to shut it down manually.

Does anyone have any experience with shutting Oracle down through scripts, and if so, how has Oracle reacted to this? Any problems??

Thanks.

Mark Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT