Re: Help with tablespace sizing.

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/05/18

        I think it's a carryover from the good old days when disk drives were much more expensive than at present. The theory was that you would set your initial extents small in order to minimize the amount of disk space needed and, by increasing the size of subsequent extents, minimize the number of tables with more than 20 extents.fdd

        Given current disk sizes and costs PCTINCREASE is only useful if you get paid overtime and need the money since it will guarantee that you will spend several weekends per year reorganizing your database.

On 5/17/00, 12:06:21 PM, Greg Akins
<gakinsNOgaSPAM_at_gatewayhealthplan.com.invalid> wrote regarding Re: Help

with tablespace sizing.:

> Not to doubt, but why allow PCTINCREASE? Is it just a white
> elephant? Are there cases where I should use PCTINCREASE?

> -greg

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
 Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free! Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT