Re: Help recover database without redo logs

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/18

Robert Hovestadt <sherlockhoNOshSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> schreef in berichtnieuws 0f1aefdf.84c7009a_at_usw-ex0106-045.remarq.com...
> Is anyone out there aware of a way to recover a database when
> the redo logs are not available?
>
> "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it"
> K to J in MiB
 *

Depends on how you define recovery.
If you have a cold backup: restore the backup, alter database open resetlogs and everything after the cold backup is lost forever. Sometimes unavoidable. If you have an export, just rebuild the database. If you have a cold backup and you want complete recovery: forget it. Redolog files are the main protection mechanism against failure. If you don't have them, that is a clear case of bad luck and 'I told you so'. 'Si vitula demersa, puteum completur', regrettably I don't know this proverb in English, but I probably only have to point at the Enschede fireworks disaster and you will know what I mean.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT