Re: Oracle and Intel/Solaris

From: Jay M. Scheiner <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com>
Date: 2000/05/18

It really depends on the PC & workload. What is your budget here? Look at tmpC numbers, and also $ per tpmC. Also, look at machines like the Unisys e7000 server, allows 16 and soon 32 CPUs, they call it a 'Intel based mainframe'.

(This is a really neat machine. We're a Unisys A series mainframe shop, but have been briefed on this box. Anyone who wants more details feel free to email me).

On Wed, 17 May 2000 21:18:19 -0400, "Jeff Hunter" <marist89_at_excite.com> wrote:

>300 Users on a PC? Relaible?
>
>Solaris is a great OS for running Oracle. However, a PC is still a PC.
>Solaris x86 is a great development platform and runs < 50 users well.
>However, running that many concurrent users, you would be better off
>investing in some SPARC hardware that is scalable.
>
>Juan Carlos Rodríguez <juancarlos.rodriguez_at_terrassa.org> wrote in message
>> Hello !!
>>
>> We are planning to migrate our Oracle database from a Alpha VMS platform
>> a Intel Solaris platform, but we have some questions about reliability.
>> Is there anyone running Oracle8 with 200-300 concurrent users in a OLTP
>> database? What about Intel Solaris?, is it reliable for an high
 availability
>> system?, or is better to try a Sparc Solaris, HP-UX or Alpha Unix ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> JCARLOS

Jay M. Scheiner
Programmer/Analyst
Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
remove _nospm_ from email address
Opinions are my own only! Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT