Urgent - weird trigger probles in Oracle 8i Release 2

From: Alla Gribov <alla.gribov_at_metatel.com>
Date: 2000/05/17

I just upgraded to the Oracle 8i Release 2 (running on Solaris) and I am expiriencing the most weird thing I've ever seen.

I always believed that if there is an integrity constraints (like foreign key) and AFTER(!!!!) row trigger on a table, then the integrity constraint would be checked first and then the trigger would NOT be fired.

And this is how it always worked for me before (or at least I thought so)

Now, in Oracle 8.1.6., when I am trying to insert a row and it fails giving me ORA-02291 integrity constraint violated - parent key not found, the AFTER ROW trigger is being fired anyway.

Please help me, it's really urgent.

If this trigger is being fired anyway, how do I stop it from executing????? How do I know inside the trigger, that the statement will fail (or actually already failed)????

Thanks a lot

Alla Gribov Received on Wed May 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT