Re: Connecting Oracle over the internet

From: DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/05/17

You need to test each level of the OSI Model in turn, in order to diagnose a fault.

So IP connectivity first.

On your windows 2000 box type,

c:\ipconfig

and you will hopefully get amongst other things the IP address for your box.

(unless MS has changed things or has a better way of showing you this in W2000)

Lets say it is 123.123.123.123.

Try and send some IP packets using ICMP from your remote machine i.e. :-

c:\ping 123.123.123.123 from your remote machine.

Works? - good news. The you've got IP working between both computers.

Now you need to check whether your W2000 box is listening using TCP/IP on a port on your machine.

Look at \orant\Net80\admin and inside listener.ora you'll see perhaps

'''

    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxxxx)(PORT = 1526))         or
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.52.33.12)(PORT = 1526))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
'''

xxxxxx is a hostname which is resolvable to an IP address (check this by doing c:\ping xxxxx on your server).

If there is only a number (like 192.52.33.12) then this should in fact be an IP address owned by your W2000 box anyway.

Check the listener is up by

c:\netstat -a -n

And look for a line such as the second and third ones here :-

'''

 TCP    xxxxxx:1027         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 TCP    xxxxxx:1521         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 TCP    xxxxxx:1526         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 TCP    xxxxxx:2384         DIMENSION:135          TIME_WAIT
 TCP    xxxxxx:2385         DIMENSION:1033         TIME_WAIT
'''

(listening on TCP port 1521 and 1526 as the listener.ora file says it shoudl be.

Take the host number and port number and [ vefify-the-existance-of / create ] a service description using both in the tnsnames.ora file on your remote client (\****\Net80\admin). (try copying an existing, sample one for TCP and changing the Host number and port number).

Then try and connect using an Oracle client utility such as tnsping or SQL*Plus, using a username / password pair that will work for the server, and using the service description that you [ vefified-the-existance-of / created ] just before in the tnsnames.ora file on the client.

If all this doesn't work, then perhaps the W2000 hasn't had the TCP/IP protocol adapters installed (unlikely). To test this, you could try the same experiment on a computer WITHIN your network. If this doesn't work then there's probably a problem on the server.

However, maybe you can't ping your server remotely at all. This could happen if your routers have been set up NOT to route IP packets to and from particular subnets of your organisation to the Internet (or the main network if there is no sub-netting).

So first things first, try the basic connectivity tests first as I have described.

If it doesn't work then you could have problems at all sorts of different levels of the O.S.I. Model and it would be daft to try and predict and solve each one in turn.

Best is to try things one step at a time.

David P.

Oracle Certified DBA. (and TCP/IP fan!)