Re: archive logs - best practices

From: Jeff Hunter <marist89_at_excite.com>
Date: 2000/05/17

You archived redo logs are a vital piece of a successful recovery. Lose them, lose your recovery. For this reason, I get very, very protective of my archived redo logs.

Archived redo logs should definitely be placed on a mirrored device. If you don't have mirrored devices, definitely use multiplexing.

You will need all the redo logs that are generated since your last backup in order to recover completely. you can get an idea of how much you will need by looking for log switches in your alert.log file and correlate that to your backup schedule.

How many times you backup your archived log files depends on how reliable your backup system is.

Make sure your redo log files are spread out on different disks. That way, when they are being archived you will limit your disk contention.