Re: archive logs - best practices

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/05/17

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 5/15/00, 1:17:08 PM, kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote regarding archive logs - best practices:

> What is the best way to manage archive logs?

        Carefully.

> For example, where should they be stored? Should they be multiplexed?
> How many backups of the archive logs should be maintained?

        I keep min in /u01/app/oracle/admin/<SID>/archive

        No. you really don't need to multiplex them.

        Depends on how much space you have on disk.

> From what I've gleaned, it is best to store archive logs to disk
> initially (but not with your other datafiles), then back them up to
> tape. But what happens if your disk with archive logs on it gets wiped

> out before you can get them to tape? (Hence, the value of multiplexing

> your archive logs?)

        This is of value only if you lose both the disk containing your archives as well as the disks containing your archives. You can avoid the problem by using mirrored drives.

> Can someone please share with me the *specific* process of how they
> manage their archive logs? They say experience is the best teacher!
 I'm
> looking to avoid the pitfalls here.

        Make sure you have enough space on disk. Write an OS archive purge routine and run it every night after you run your backups. The number of days of archive data you keep should be based on two factors; 1) availability of disk space, 2) confidence, or lack thereof, in your tapes and tape drives. (For example, based on not having good backups on two different nights last week I just modified my purge script so that I keep a minimum of three days of archives on disk.)