Re: Most humble newbie begs the elders for bits of wisdom

From: Job <Job_at_pestilence.net>
Date: 2000/05/17

Jerry Gitomer wrote:

> Bearing in mind that something like 80% of all Oracle performance
> problems are due to poorly written SQL and a lack of indexes and the
> fact that neither NT nor Personal shouldn't have any problems with a
> 640MB table I suggest that you look at the quality of your queries.

Seconded, also the basic parameters like Shared pool size, number of buffers, size of redo logs, etc,etc.

I saw here recently something about a log file of client connections causing slow connections etc, don't remember the name and I haven't checked it out on our systems yet but it's something.dat under $ORACLE_HOME (i think) might be worth a look too.

 Edition
> > and a third-party software package that shuffles LOTS of data in/out
 of the
> > database. No network users, nothing else running on the systems
 except
> > Outlook. With only 7 months of data on the systems,(our hope was to
> > maintain at least 2 years) data access became extremely slow.
 Thinking that
> > lack of horsepower was the issue, I replaced the PPRO 200s with PIII
 650s
> > with 256 megs of memory, dual controllers and dual disks (operating
 system
> > and pagefile on one drive/controller and Orant on the other
> > drive/controller). While there was defiantly an improvement, the
 systems
> > are still sluggish. Even with the new PCs Oracle8 Navigator cannot
 open the
> > larger tables (sometimes it terminates, sometimes the machine
> blue-screens).
>
> > I have tried talking to the third-party software vendor and to Oracle
 but
> > cannot get good information about the capacity of Oracle8 Personal
 Edition.