Re: Most humble newbie begs the elders for bits of wisdom

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/05/17

I wouldn't in any sense regard myself as an elder. FWIW though Jerry's response is right on the money. Oracle should not have any prob with tables of that size. It might be worth getting a hold of Oracle8 tuning if you are unsure how to monitor sql etc in Oracle. This route will probably get you all the performance gains you need.

I also have a couple of comments on your hardware configuration. First it sounds as if you have put all Oracle files on one disk. You will get io contention if this is the case. Second 256mb ram *could* be a little shy if you have gigs of data.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Jerry Gitomer" <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote in message

Bearing in mind that something like 80% of all Oracle performance
problems are due to poorly written SQL and a lack of indexes and the
fact that neither NT nor Personal shouldn't have any problems with a
640MB table I suggest that you look at the quality of your queries.

On 5/16/00, 6:28:33 PM, "Weldon" <news_at_scada-dcs.com> wrote regarding
Most humble newbie begs the elders for bits of wisdom:

> I recently 'inherited' three NT systems that run Oracle8 Personal
Edition
> and a third-party software package that shuffles LOTS of data in/out
of the
> database. No network users, nothing else running on the systems
except
> Outlook. With only 7 months of data on the systems,(our hope was to
> maintain at least 2 years) data access became extremely slow.
Thinking that
> lack of horsepower was the issue, I replaced the PPRO 200s with PIII
650s
> with 256 megs of memory, dual controllers and dual disks (operating
system
> and pagefile on one drive/controller and Orant on the other
> drive/controller). While there was defiantly an improvement, the
systems
> are still sluggish. Even with the new PCs Oracle8 Navigator cannot
open the
> larger tables (sometimes it terminates, sometimes the machine
blue-screens).
> I have tried talking to the third-party software vendor and to Oracle
but
> cannot get good information about the capacity of Oracle8 Personal
Edition.