Re: NLS_DATE_FORMAT on server - 8.1.5

From: Dieter Rohlfing <320003300523_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2000/05/17

On Mon, 15 May 2000 16:24:24 GMT, TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com> wrote:

>Mt init<sid>.ora file ( the one in the pfile directory called by the one in the
>database directory ) has
>NLS_DATE_FORMAT = "DD-MON-YYYY"
>
>Yet when I do a select sysdate from dual ( at the console with svrmgr31) I get
>15-MAY-00
I had the same problem a few days ago. :-)

Some parameters you can set at different places: init<sid>.ora, ALTER SESSION and as an environment variable. Environment variables have the highest, init<sid>.ora values have the lowest precedence.

Normally NLS_DATE_FORMAT is a derived data (from NLS_TERRITORY). If you set NLS_TERRITORY on a higher level than init<sid>.ora, then your NLS_DATE_FORMAT value in init<sid>.ora will be overridden by the derived value from the higher level value of NLS_TERRITORY.

So, set the value for NLS_DATE_FORMAT on the same or a higher level as the value for NLS_TERRITORY. That solved my problem, and I hope yours, too.

Dieter Rohlfing Received on Wed May 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT