Re: Hiding the password in UNIX?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/05/16

This is particularly a problem if you run scripts using CRON. To get around it, we have a file that has one word in it, the password. Call this file PSWDFILE. After creating the file, issue CHMOD 400 PSWDFILE so that noone can look at the contents of the file. Then when calling SQL*Plus, redirect the password file:

   sqlplus userid_at_host @scriptname < PSWDFILE

The benefit to this approach is that the password is stored in only one location. When the password is changed, just modify PSWDFILE. Your scripts never have to be modified since the password was never stored in the script.

HTH,
Brian

Stephen W Ruiz wrote:

> Does anyone know a good way to let users use sqlplus without entering their
> username/password on the command line. It shows up when you grep for
> sqlplus. How do you get arround this issue. In our Sybase environments we
> echo a parameter to isql, but that did not work with Oracle for some reason.
> Thanks for your response.

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center