Most humble newbie begs the elders for bits of wisdom

From: Weldon <news_at_scada-dcs.com>
Date: 2000/05/16

I recently 'inherited' three NT systems that run Oracle8 Personal Edition and a third-party software package that shuffles LOTS of data in/out of the database. No network users, nothing else running on the systems except Outlook. With only 7 months of data on the systems,(our hope was to maintain at least 2 years) data access became extremely slow. Thinking that lack of horsepower was the issue, I replaced the PPRO 200s with PIII 650s with 256 megs of memory, dual controllers and dual disks (operating system and pagefile on one drive/controller and Orant on the other drive/controller). While there was defiantly an improvement, the systems are still sluggish. Even with the new PCs Oracle8 Navigator cannot open the larger tables (sometimes it terminates, sometimes the machine blue-screens).

I have tried talking to the third-party software vendor and to Oracle but cannot get good information about the capacity of Oracle8 Personal Edition. The largest table now exceeds 3 million rows and takes 640 megs of disk space. Have we exceeded the capacity of the Personal Edition? I am willing to upgrade to a different Oracle product, if necessary, but I cannot justify the change just to see if it works better.

Any insight into the matter would be appreciated.

If my post is off-topic for this group, could someone kindly point me in the right direction. Received on Tue May 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT