Re: Sequence Generation and Replication

From: Brian Douglass <briand_at_tps-eoltp.com>
Date: 2000/05/16

No. According to what I read in the documentation (it is in there, just can't remember the page), sequences do not replicate across machines. Damned unfortunate. Also, sysdate is not identical between machines. Even with the time daemon on between machines, I often found that sysdate entries could be off between replicated databases. I was only going down to the second in granularity, but often transactions would be off between the two because of the second boundary.

I found that by feeding my SQL statements a time and Unique Id (not a sequence, but a never repeatable value. The Oracle Universal Id is like 16 bytes long, and is unique across the universe. Mine was only 4 bytes long) I achieved the results I was looking for.

--
Brian Douglass
Transaction Processing Solutions, Inc.