Re: Database on server 7.3.2 stopped responding.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/14

Most likely this is a problem with redolog. As soon as archiving is needed and there is no space for new archive files on the server, the database will just stop until this condition is resolved. You can resolve this on the Oracle side by issuing the command alter system archive log all
If this was the problem aborting the process wouldn't have helped either, as this will rollback any current transactions. Rollback is protected by the redo log.
You really need to look into the alert log as to what happened, no one here is clairvoyant.

The second problem is a commit in a loop. Take the commit out and it should work.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Bernadette <bernadette.pinto_at_tesco.net> schreef in berichtnieuws 8flnqa$dgp$1_at_barcode.tesco.net...
> Hi,
> I have a client running Oracle server 7.3.2. on a sun box I was on-site
 the
> other day installing some updates (forms 4.5 and reports 2.5) and whilst I
> was running a report the database seemed to freeze. I couldn't log in
 again
> after trying to cancel the report and their IT staff told me that they
> couldn't shut the database down and would have to wait for the processes
> running on it had completed of their own accord.
>
> I wonder if anyone could explain to me the following:
>
> As I was the only person testing this system, couldn't they have just
 killed
> the process(es) that were running on the frozen database? Are there
> complications I don't know about?
>
> Another report I try to run on the client site comes up with a FETCH OUT
 OF