Re: Connect string appears to be case sensitive!!!

From: Yurasis Dragon <yurasis_dragonNOSPAM_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/05/12

On Fri, 12 May 2000 15:06:51 +0100, Job <Job_at_pestilence.net> wrote:

>Yurasis Dragon wrote:
>
>> Here's the setup :
>>
>> zeus server : Solaris 2.5, Oracle 7.3.4
>>
>> apollo server : Solaris 7, Oracle 8.1.6
>>
>> On our duke server (8.0.5) as well as from a PC (7.3.4 client) we have
>> no problems connecting with a lower or upper case connect string.
>>
>> I have removed references to PROD from listener.ora and oratab on
>> zeus, where it used to reside but am wondering if this problem might
>> be related to the fact that PROD used to be on zeus and this server
>> is the only one that has this case sensitivity issue (probably
>> grasping at straws here).
>>
>> For all servers (zeus, duke, PC) the connect string for PROD is the
>> same (but they are different TNSNAMES.ORA, duh).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>One: what does /etc/hosts look like? Do you have both upper
>and lower aliases for the ip numbers, like this:
>
>123.456.789.21 host1 HOST1

Nope, there's just a lowercase name.

One thing I did notice is that ONLY when the DB alias is the same as the actual database name is there a problem. When the alias is, say APROD, where the actual db name is PROD, then I can specify an upper and lower case connet string with no problem.

===

Yurasis Dragon
yurasis_dragonNOSPAM_at_yahoo.com
(remove NOSPAM to reply) Received on Fri May 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT