I/O Performance and Disk Size

From: <gary_arvan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/12

Howdy, I'm a new Oracle DBA and I'm already in a debate with my developer friends regarding Disk I/O and Disk Size. Customer says the 1 Gig SCSI drives that are 5+ years old have quicker response than the newer and larger hard drives of today. He references performance data and magazine articles that are 5 or more years old that clearly show 1gig out performed the 10gig drives. But no current data! Consequently, we use 30 refurbished 1 gig drives, and yes they do fail rather frequently.

I'm thinking todays 10, 15 or 20 gig drives will out perform these older drives, but I have no performance data to back up my claim. Does anybody out there have metrics that I could use to justify my claim?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri May 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT