Re: Oracle licesing/pricing question...

From: Wayne Menzie <waynem_at_bosmedtechdotcom.nospam>
Date: 2000/05/12

ammar_aganovic_at_my-deja.com wrote in <8fes76$gq0$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>:

>OK, so the Enterprise version of 8i will be a development one?

It's the exact same software that you would receive on physical media if you purchased Oracle licenses.

>I would have to enter no licence whatsoever when I start
>installing the server, right? How would Oracle know if I make a
>commercial use of my development license? Is it possible? Or is the dev-
>license just like letting me connect to the server from localhost or
>limited to one connection only?

No limits. The way I see it is Oracle figures that anybody foolish enough to try to use Oracle without licensing it and purchasing support deserves what's coming to them. Everybody else will pony up and have access to support according to their contract.

>I've got the GetRight do the job for me - right now - I'm downloading
>an Enterprise 8i for linux, and am now with 19% downloaded, guess some
>10 hours to go, will leave the PC running and fetch the file tomorrow -
>buy I am really very dissapointed in Oracle mirroring policy.

It sounds like you are dissapointed with their server performance. That is a common complaint. The fact that the want to control where the full version of their software is available, I see no problem with that. I am just grateful that they make it available so that we can get a head start on development while the bean counters figure out what forms to fill out so we can purchase it.

--
Wayne Menzie