Re: NFS-mounted Oracle software

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/11

victor tsien <vtsien_at_ans.ih.lucent.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8feik9$2g4_at_nntpb.cb.lucent.com...
> I need your help. We have unlimited company-wide Oracle licenses. My SA
> wants to save space. Hence he had Oracle software installed in one
 machine
> with other machine nfs-mount the oracle directory. I felt it was easier
> update oracle in one machine in a centralized way. I did it on Solaris
 2.3
> using oracle7.0 4 years ago but forgot how I did it. It might be a piece
 of
> luck. Now when I start up the database using svrmgr, it would ask me for
> password. Is there anybody who use the same approach and succeed? Does
> Oracle change something to make it unavailable for nfs-mount? There is no
> support from Oracle. Therefore, this is the only place I can find some
> help. TIA
>
> Vic

Hence he had Oracle software installed in one machine
> with other machine nfs-mount the oracle directory.

Which was of course a very unwise thing to do, as there will be a severe performance hit.

> luck. Now when I start up the database using svrmgr, it would ask me for
> password.

If you have nfs, do you have by any chance NIS running. If so, check whether you have both a NIS-managed and a local oracle account (you should have one) and whether the uid and the gid are identical on both systems. If they are not identical, this is one of the reasons to be prompted for a password, the uid and gid are stored with the files not the names.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu May 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT