Re: SQL*NET2 and NET8

From: Roger Jackson <rjackson_at_wire.net.au>
Date: 2000/05/11

I asked myself this question a few months ago.

This document was obtained off Oracle's support site (Metalink).

Problem Description:

Is Net8 compatible with SQL*Net 2.x and what specific versions of SQL*Net will
Net8 function with?

Problem Explanation:

You are considering upgrading all clients to Net8 and are concerned with compatibility issues with Sqlnet 2.x version listeners.

Search Words:

Sqlnet 2.3
Sqlnet 2.2
Sqlnet 2.1

Compatible
Compatibility
Net8

Solution: NET 8 IS BACKWARD COMPATIBILE WITH SQL*NET VERSIONS 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Solution Description:

Backward Compatibility

Net 8 is the successor to SQL*Net version 2. Net8 is fully backward compatible, over the wire, with all currently "supported" production releases of SQL*Net version 2.x (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3). Net8 clients can interact with either SQL*Net v2.x or Net8 services, and SQL*Net v2.x clients can interact Net8 services. The Net8 Listener supports both Oracle7 and Oracle8 databases allowing for only one Listener per node or multiple Listeners per node if configured properly.

Solution Explanation:

Although Net 8 is fully backward compatible with SQL*Net v2, there are some migration considerations. See the Oracle Net8 Administrator's Guide.

NOTE: Previous releases of SQL*Net included several documents. With the

      release of Net8, however, all generic documentation for the product is
      included in the Oracle Net8 Administrator's Guide. Net8 error messages
      are included in the Oracle8 Server Error Messages document.

Solution References: