GETS vs. PINS

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: 2000/05/10

 The older I get, the denser I get. Please bear with me, I should know this . ..

From the Performance Tuning Workshop, discussing tuning the library cache and explaining that section of REPORT.TXT, we get this quote:

GETS shows the total number of requests for information on the corresponding item.
PINS shows the number of executions of SQL statements.

I guess the difference between GETS and PINS should be obvious from the above statements, but somehow I’m not getting it. What would cause a “requests for information” (GET) from the SQL area and not cause an execution (PIN)? Or what would cause a PIN and not cause a GET? What would cause both?

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.