Re: Datafile buffering w/ OSF1

From: Antti Jarvinen <costello_at_iki.fi>
Date: 2000/05/10

Joerg Bruehe <joerg_at_sql.de> writes:
> I have no special Oracle experience, but I never understood why their
> preference is to use files for their "tablespaces".
> IMHO, this will _always_ cause double cacheing (in the Oracle RAM
> structure plus in the Unix file I/O buffer pool) and so cause problems
> like you describe.

Oracle allows raw partitions too, I'm not sure why I'm always eager to choose datafiles instead of partitions, propably because of the feeling I get after having put every *file* from the disk to a tape, and put the tape to a safe :-)

I did run sys_check that indeed did give nice propositions about what to do, as the first thing it did, it complained about swapping so I'm happy someone else noticed the problem too :)

So:
 I did set limit of "wired" memory to 40% as this "wired" memory  contains AdvFS cache..among other stuff. And I did almost all the other  parameter settings that sys_check proposed, some of them were stupid  or at least unsuitable for my situation, where problem was big file  caching not done in intelligent way.

Result is what I should expect from AS1000 - not bad, does its job. At least reponsiveness is some 1000% better :) Wired memory is not hitting the limit as it were so propably the other parameters had some effect on the situation too.

If you want details about the parameters, please ask. OSF1 is 4.0d.

--
Antti Järvinen, costello_at_iki.fi
            "concerto for two faggots and orchestra"