Re: recycling numbers from db

From: <smkirby_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/10

In article <39197F77.5DFD69C1_at_pestilence.net>,   Job <Job_at_pestilence.net> wrote:
> Dominick Vansevenant wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have to get a value that is not in a table, how can I do this?
> > The purpose is to recycle numbers, e.g.:
> >
> > table content:
> >
> > 1
> > 3
> > 4
> > 5
> > 7
> > 9
> > 10
> >
> > I want the first number that is not in, thus I want 2 as result.
> > Is this possible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Dominick
>
> What I'd do is scan the ordered table for each value in turn, on the
> first
> no-data-found I'd use that number next - you can
> scan in numerical sequence - right?
> for unused_value in 1..limit loop
> begin
> select val from table where val = unused_value;
> exception
> when no_data_found then exit;
> end;
> end loop;
>
> insert into blah values(unused_value);
>
> HTH

On the right track...try this version, which eliminates breaking out in the middle of a loop:

begin
for unused_value in 1..limit loop

    select val from table where val = unused_value; end loop;

exception

    when no_data_found then

        insert into blah values(unused_value);
end;

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT