Re: Async I/O

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/05/09

yes,

asynchronous i/o (for Oracle 8.0.6 on HP-UX 11.0) works only for "raw" partitions, it does not work for file systems. instructions for enabling async i/o are included in the Oracle installation guide.

HP has a more complete document titled something like "Configuring MC/LockManager for Oracle Parallel Server" that goes into more detail of "raw" partitions, how to set them up, configuring async i/o.. a lot of the info is applicable even if you're not running OPS.

"chansis <remove this>.earthlink.net earthlink.net>" <chansis@<remove this > wrote in message news:G53S4.45815$g4.1255901_at_newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> As I understand Async I/O is a raw device. On HPUX boxes you
 can create
> these raw devices as storage areas for database files. There
 is also a
> kernel parameter within HPUX that must be set to allow async
 i/o. I don't
> use it myself as I inherited my systems, but I would like look
 into it also.

> JH
>
> <cgilbert_at_mail.dotcom.fr> wrote in message
> > Walter Dorninger a écrit :
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a question concerning asyncronous I/O on any
 platform. In the
 Oracle
> > > documentation there is stated that if I set the
 oraini-Parameter for
 async
> > > I/O to true async I/O is used IF THE OS SUPPORTS async
 I/O - If the OS
 does
> > > NOT support async I/O the setting is ignored. So I wonder
 how can I
 figure
> > > out if async I/O is used or not ?
> > >
> > > Thanx, Walter
> >
> > WARNING !
> > There's a corruption alert relative to ASYNC_IO and AIX
 4.3.x...