Re: Datafile buffering w/ OSF1

From: Job <Job_at_pestilence.net>
Date: 2000/05/08

Antti Jarvinen wrote:

> I'm having a slight swapping problem with digital unix 4.0 and oracle804:
> bash-2.02$ vmstat 1
> Virtual Memory Statistics: (pagesize = 8192)
> procs memory pages intr cpu
> r w u act free wire fault cow zero react pin pout in sy cs us sy id
> 2141 33 12K 62 50K 782M 25M 212M 134M 67M 15M 158 1K 747 38 5 57
> 3141 32 12K 50 50K 1336 91 549 3321 252 70 387 1K 1K 26 16 58
> 4134 36 12K 42 50K 982 54 377 58 225 68 354 2K 1K 40 23 37
> and almost all processes (including ora*) are regularly swapped out and in
> causing pretty ugly slowdown.

How much RAM do you have? Oracle recommends a minimum of 128 MB. Do you have 500 MB? Check kernal settings (or in sysconfigtab) you need to have shared memory max size
set to 2GB - 8MB (1.992 GB) and segments to 32. Unless you can do this you will get nowhere. What percentage of total RAM is the SGA, you should aim for about 60%
What are your applications needs? Can you put Oracle on a separate box from the app - this is recommended practice...
Luck,