TNS-03505, ORA-12154, TNS-01101

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

HI all,

Thanks everyone for all your help in answering my questions.

After off and on for a few weeks, I have finally discovered why I could not connect to my new database at the prompt:

sqlplus username/password_at_oracle_sid

I could only:

export ORACLE_SID=oracle_sid
sqlplus
  username
  password

I could also not tnsping oracle_sid

I kept getting errors:

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
TNS-01101: Could not find service name ltfd1

I knew that it had something to do with the TNSNAMES.ORA file. But it looked fine to me.

We finally found it by accident. The problem was that there was another tnsnames.ora file in the directory:

/var/opt/oracle

in addition to the one in the directory:

$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

ahggg!

I had searched the hard drive for all files *.ora, but only in /apps, where we had installed Oracle. In all the environments that I have worked in, the tnsnames.ora was always under /network/admin.

It just goes to show, don't assume anything with Unix!

I hope that this will help anyone else who gets the same mysterious symptoms.

Ciao,

Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon May 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT