Windows 2000 and Oracle 8i EE (8.1.6) challenge

From: Mike Pluta <mjpluta_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

I've been beating my head against this most odd problem for several days now.

I've installed Oracle 8i EE (8.1.6) on Windows 2000 Professional on my Dell laptop. When I performed the installation, I was undocked from the company network, but was connected to my home network via a PCMCIA network card. All is well and working fine-- the instance / database runs fine.

The trouble begins when I take the machine to work and connect it to the docking station. The instance will no longer run-- I get the error: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel when I attempt to login to the database.

I've removed the PCMCIA card, reconfigured Net8 everywhichway from Tuesday and cannot get the database to function when docked.

Has anyone else run into this and resoved it?

TIA,

--
Mike Pluta
mjpluta at bigfoot dot com