Re: Online (hot) Backup Script Question

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

In article <20000508102233.14592.00004208_at_ng-ch1.aol.com>,   risudi_at_aol.com (Risudi) wrote:
> The only ones I can think of are:
>
> 1) If the Pl/SQL fails how will you know?
> I guess you could always check some customized log every morning
>
> 2) What if the database is not running or fully running?
>
> Rick

Point one is good, but you can not run a complete, valid hot backup if the database is not running or fully running to begin with so that may be an advantage rather than a problem. If the database is down then dbms_job will not fire the backup but cron does not care. Very few hot backup shells actually contain adequate error checking to make sure the backup is running at each step.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.