Re: Help: Database can not be shutdown

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

In article <957456317.315196_at_newsreader-hpw1.net.bms.com>,   "sc" <cfs3526_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> When I was trying to shutdown database, with normal, immediate or
 abort, I
> alway got an error message ora-00106, database can not be shutdown
 while
> connected to dispatcher,
> what is dispatcher? How can I disconnect it?
>
> Thank you for your help.

Obviously you are connected to a multithreaded server. You need to have a dedicated connection (at least in Oracle 7) to be capable of shutting down
You´ll need to include an extra entry in your tnsnames.ora, duplicating the current one, adding after (SID=)(SERVER=DEDICATED)

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply