Re: Redo Log Positioning

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/08

Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8f71kv$ovc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <957303170.25609.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 8end9q$rjo$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
 raid 1
 disk,
 performance
 hit in

 error
 log

 the
 size

 any

> > > While the writing from one log to the next is sequential, if you
 place
> > > them on the same physical device (regardless of any RAID or logical
> > > partitioning) wouldn't there be contention as one log file is being
> > > written while the previous one is being read for archive? Of
 course,
> > > this assume archive logmode.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ed Stevens
> > > (Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)
> > >

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> >
> > You would be right when you have only 2 redo log groups. Having three
 or
> > more minimizes the chance this happens. Say you have 3 online redo log
> > files, only if the third file fills, archiving will occur, and this
 is a
> > single action, so the contention should be short, instead of
 continuous.
> > I agree there are situations with occasional 'bursts' of activity,
 when all
> > online redolog files fill at the same time. IMO: you need to adjust
 the size
> > of your redo log files to prevent this happens.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> Sounds like you're talking about what I refer to as "wraparound
> wait." This is when Oracle needs to start writing to a log set that
> has not finished archiving. What I was referring to was the
> contentention that occurs before this. Log1 fills up, a log switch
> occurs to start writing to log2. While activity is being written to
> log2, Log1 is being read for archiving. At this point, if both logs
> are on the same physical device, you have the physical contention
> between read operations against Log1 and the writing against Log2. Or
> is it your point that the read for archiving is generally so short as
> to not really be an issue?
> --
> Ed Stevens
> (Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

LGWR performs sequential appends, while ARCH does a sequential copy, so yes, read activitiy should be so short not to be an issue.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon May 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT