Re: Redo Log Positioning

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: 2000/05/08

In article <957303170.25609.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8end9q$rjo$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > In article <957288168.15447.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > > IMO you have no other choice than to place the redologs on one
 raid 1
 disk,
> > > and the hard- or software mirror on the other raid 1 disk.
> > > As the redolog files are written sequentially there is no
 performance
 hit in
> > > placing all three on one drive. I usually start with 4 redo log
 groups, this
> > > layout seems less troublesome.
> > >
> > > Hth,
> > >
> > > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> > >
> > > <rogerxb_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > > 8emjtg$t78$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
 error
 log

 the
 size

 any

> > While the writing from one log to the next is sequential, if you
 place
> > them on the same physical device (regardless of any RAID or logical
> > partitioning) wouldn't there be contention as one log file is being
> > written while the previous one is being read for archive? Of
 course,
> > this assume archive logmode.
> >
> > --
> > Ed Stevens
> > (Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> You would be right when you have only 2 redo log groups. Having three
 or
> more minimizes the chance this happens. Say you have 3 online redo log
> files, only if the third file fills, archiving will occur, and this
 is a
> single action, so the contention should be short, instead of
 continuous.
> I agree there are situations with occasional 'bursts' of activity,
 when all
> online redolog files fill at the same time. IMO: you need to adjust
 the size
> of your redo log files to prevent this happens.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Sounds like you're talking about what I refer to as "wraparound wait." This is when Oracle needs to start writing to a log set that has not finished archiving. What I was referring to was the contentention that occurs before this. Log1 fills up, a log switch occurs to start writing to log2. While activity is being written to log2, Log1 is being read for archiving. At this point, if both logs are on the same physical device, you have the physical contention between read operations against Log1 and the writing against Log2. Or is it your point that the read for archiving is generally so short as to not really be an issue?