Re: Online (hot) Backup Script Question

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/07

In article <3915a4f0$0$223_at_nntp1.ba.best.com>,   "Mike Adams" <mikea_at_best.com> wrote:
> Just wondering what the "Best Practice" is regarding online backup
 scripts.
> Most backup scripts I've found are written in a shell scripting
 language.
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't write a stored procedure to do the
> online backups? Is there any issues with running a stored procedure
 on the
> very database it's attempting to backup? I assume not since the very
 point
> of an online backup is to allow database activity to continue by
 saving all
> updates to the transaction logs.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input!!!
>
> Please 'cc' mikea_at_best.com as I am unable to check this newsgroup
 from
> work.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

You have more options and control via a shell script, such as running the multiple jobs in parallel, testing the backup destination for available space and changing the target destination. Using cron is easy and fairly reliable but there is not reason you couldn't use pl/sql to generate the backup code and dbms_job to do the scheduling.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.